Thursday, March 16, 2006

Hamlet & Me

"To be or not to be, --that is the question:--Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to sufferThe slings and arrows of outrageous fortune; Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them?"

While Hamlet was speaking of suicide here, I am not. But I am speaking of a different kind of death; the death of a relationship.

I have a girlfriend (stupid word, but there it is). I love this woman. She's one of the few people I've met in my life that can keep up with me in every capacity (and passes me in plenty). I would have children with this woman. But there's a problem.

She reads my blog. She reads the comments I leave on yours. She believes my comments to be overtly sexual in nature, overly flirtatious and says "we both know where this will lead." She wants to know why I leave "comments like that" and wonders if I do it "to feed my male ego". Last night it was made very clear that she does not trust me and does not believe I have any honor. My comments hurt her and she is very angry that I refuse to stop and am not willing to make any concessions.

I feel I've done nothing wrong, have done nothing to hurt her, and therefore don't need to make any concessions or adjust my behavior.

And now I'm at a loss. I'm in danger of losing her..and may have already done so. But I can't live without trust. I am nothing if I am not trustworthy and honorable. I have never cheated. Ever. I was with the same woman for eleven years, most of them in a fairly sexless marriage, and I never strayed, even though my needs weren't being met in the bedroom. I had plenty of opportunities, and even the desire, but I had made my commitment and I honored it.

I will admit that I am flirtatious by nature. I like women. I prefer their company to men. But I am not lecherous, not a predator and have never pushed the issue when the answer is no. I've slept with less than a dozen women in my life. I'm picky like that.

I am tired of defending myself. Stormy, if you read this you have a choice to make. I didn't sleep last night at all. I cried for a good deal of it. I went over and over the things that were said, tried to listen to them as an outsider, tried to distance myself from the hurt, pain and mistrust I felt. Maybe my ego is too big, maybe my brain doesn't work, but I can't see that I've done any wrong. These folks I blog with and converse with on-line are no more than friends. I enjoy reading their blogs and leaving comments. Some of the comments are flirtatious, but that's as far as it goes. I hope you can understand that.

I leave you with one more quote from Hamlet:

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".

We have nothing without trust.


M. PotPie

4 Comments:

Blogger asianpixie said...

I have never thought your comments on my blog or anyone else's blog to be inappropriate or crossing lines. 99% of the time, we are joking back and forth with each other and say things for shock/humor value, nothing more. Blog and comments are nothing more than pure hyperboles.

I agree that there are trust issues, and that is a crucial component of a relationship. But I am also sensing insecurity on her end. We are all friends and acquaintances, and many of us are honorable and trustworthy as well. So I do not view the blog world as lecherous, but as a space where we can share our thoughts/lives with a great deal of anonymity.

10:49 AM  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Awww. You guys have a dialouge to be envious of! Ease and honesty of communication like this is really special.

11:54 AM  
Blogger MKD said...

Ummm, this is dumb. To her I say "stop it." Flirting is perfectly normal. And if it is online via blog then who the fuck cares? You sexy, sexy manbeast.

Does she realize that most of us are gay?

2:54 PM  
Blogger M. Fred said...

Blogs are an extension of a personality, not its equal. Its writing a diary that you know everyone will see- not totally without exaggeration. Whatever happens in a blog doesn't count. Until you get fired for it.


I would like to amend MKD's comments and say that I am gayISH. Gawd, what a bitch.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home