Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Have I ever mentioned that I love baseball? Well I do. If I had to choose one activity for the rest of my life, it would be baseball. Not sex, not drinking, not smoking weed, not watching movies... I would play baseball. Or watch it (live..baseball on tv kind of sucks). Or listen to it.

I'm such a geek that I even keep score at home while I watch it. I can't recite stats & records and all that shit, but I love the game.

Even after the strikes, the drugs, ridiculous salaries, after all that nonsense, I still love the damn game.

So now you know where I stand. That being said....

I could care less about this Baseball Classic thing. Really, who cares? I just can't get excited about it. I didn't care about Olympic baseball and I don't care about this.

Is it that I have no pride in the country? I think that's part of it. Perhaps it's also a result of this country being so powerful for so long now that we simply assume we're the best at everything...and hell, we invented the game after all. Do I care if we beat Mexico or South Africa? Not at all. Will I care if they beat us? Maybe a little, but not that much.

So bring on April 2nd. Opening day. Then we can talk baseball for real.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kata said...

I understand man. When I was a kid, I lived for the Dodgers. Then I discovered Heavy Metal...refer to your opening statement and replace "baseball" with "metal"...luckily, those days are behind me now...

7:24 PM  
Blogger asianpixie said...

I used to be really into baseball, but now I find it boring to watch. The last game I saw was the Orioles vs. Cuba, and did not even stay for the whole thing. Playing it for fun is another story though.

1:17 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

Oh gee. I can't wait. :)

2:13 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

chicken- I would never make you keep score.

mangey- I too went through the heavy-metal-big-hair phase. But I still liked baseball.

Lt. A.P.- Boring? Oh no.

mkd- If I didn't know any better I'd swear that was sarcasm..

4:23 PM  
Blogger Kata said...

I demand a photo of the big hair metal phase! If I'm fool enough to show mine here, I need some company...

6:31 PM  
Blogger knibilnats said...

i thought this world baseball classic would be quite shitty, just a marketing scheme that bud selig pulled out of his ass. and of course the announcers are selling it way too hard. but i've gotten caught up in it. i'm not patriotic, but i've been rooted for america hard. hey, it's baseball!

9:31 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

Mangey- There is no photographical evidence of that period. It never happened.

chicken- Keeping score is like zen for me..and keeps me in the game, so to speak. I get distracted by buns.

knibilnats- I have to admit that I watched the last three innings of the USA/Canada last night...and enjoyed it. Damn you Bud Selig! Damn you!

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home