Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Crazy Ray (continued)

Tokie ran inside to get the moonshine. Now I'm not against drinking, hell, I like it a lot, but it wasn't quite ten in the morning and the last thing I wanted to do was get this early a start, especially if Ray was had something brewing, which I knew he did. But I have to admit I was mighty curious to find out why there was a perfectly good limousine with a briefcase and handcuffs in it way in the back of an old salvage yard.

"What do you reckon is in that briefcase, Ray?"

He looked me dead in the eye and smiled one of his last full-lipped smiles. "My salvation, Bunk."
I don't know if it was salvation he found, but I do know our friendship was never the same after that night.

Tokie came running back out with the moonshine and three old jelly jars to drink it out of. He poured us each a shot and was about to throw his back when Ray spoke.

"Gentlemen, I don't normally stand on ceremony, you know that, but today I feel obligated to raise a toast." He stood and raised his jar and we followed suit. "Bunk, Tokie, I'd like to toast to our friendship and our complete trust in one another. Real friendship is rare these days. It seems like most folks would sell out their own mother if it meant a dollar or two in their pocket. However I know I can trust you two with my life, and you can trust me with yours if it comes down to it. So here's to friendship, trust and devotion to a higher ideal. Amen." We said amen and then all three of us emptied our jars.

You ever have moonshine? It's also known as everclear, corn liquor and some other disreputable names that I don't care to mention. It's one hundred percent grain alcohol and would kick the teeth out of a mule. Needless to say we were quiet after that first shot and anyone coming upon us right then would've seen three grown men with tears in their eyes and pursed lips. It's not a pretty sight but it is a common one around our parts. We all sat down again. Tokie spoke first.

"So what are we gonna do, Ray?"

"Well Tokie, we're going to the salvage yard tonight and check out that limousine. I'm fairly certain we already covered that. If, in fact, you're asking me what we're going to do after we check out the limousine, I don't know as I don't have all the evidence in front of me. However, if you're asking what we'll do if the limousine you described isn't there at all...well Tokie, I reckon Bunk and I will provide you with a memorable beating."

"It's there! I know it!" Tokie was wide eyed, pointing in the general direction of the salvage yard.

"You better hope so, Toke."

I decided to ask a question that seemed to have been overlooked. I cleared my throat first and tasted moonshine. "I don't want you fellas to think I'm trying to put out this fire, but just how do you propose we get there? I sure as hell don't want to walk ten miles and the last time I checked none of us has a car."

Ray picked up the corn liquor and poured us all another shot. "An excellent question Bunk, and one I've already given thought to and answered. I'll borrow Starla's car. She's got the night off and I'm sure she'll be happy to lend it to me."

Ray was lying. I knew it, Tokie knew it and I knew for damn sure that he knew it. More than her trailer, more than her job and sure as hell more than Ray, Starla loved her car. It was a perfectly maintained nineteen sixty-eight Ford Mustang convertible painted bright pink, a gift from a former client, let's say, and it was Starla's pride and joy. She even had personal license plates for it that read 'Starla'. Not all that original, but you always knew who the car belonged to. There was simply no way she would let him borrow it. We found out later we were wrong.

"Well fellas, I know it's early but I believe I'll need all the rest I can get for tonight's work, so I'm gonna head home. I suggest you two take it easy on the moonshine and rest up yourselves. I also suggest that you gather up any tools we might need to get into that limo and, more importantly, that briefcase." He threw back his second shot and stood up. "Hooo-whee! Damn, Tokie, where did you get this?"

"I got it from..." Ray cut him off.

"Nevermind, don't tell me. I don't think I really want to know. Gentlemen, I bid you adieu. Let's meet back here at eleven tonight." He saluted us and walked away.

Tokie and I watched him walk off and sat in silence for a while, sipping the corn liquor.

"Bunk?"

"Yeah Toke?"

"You guy's really gonna beat me up if the limo ain't there?"

"I reckon we'll be right upset, Tokie."

"I see. Bunk?"

"Yeah Toke?"

"Could you maybe not hit me in the face?"

"Guess I can't promise you, but I'll do my best to avoid it."

"You're a good friend, Bunk. Say, what do you think is in that briefcase?"

I had to consider my answer carefully as Tokie had an active imagination and tended to grasp on to an idea once it was in his head.

"I have no idea, but we'll all know tonight. If it's still there."

"It's there Bunk. I know it."

Deep inside I felt a bit cold and said a silent prayer that it wouldn't be.


(more tomorrow)

M. PotPie

4 Comments:

Blogger MKD said...

Why are you doing this to me?

7:40 AM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

ty- hey man, you get it as I write it.

mkd- Umm...I don't know?

chicken- I don't know that either. Everclear may be available at a liquor store...but I'm not sure.

1:30 PM  
Blogger asianpixie said...

So do you know where the story is going on how it is going to end and all that shit, or are you just writing freely?

11:03 AM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

AP, I wrote it freely, day by day. I should say it kind of wrote itself. I had a general idea of how it would end, but no way to get the characters there.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home