Monday, December 05, 2005

Crazy Ray (continued)

Tokie had his own place about two miles outside town, so Ray and I would usually meet outside Starla's trailer and walk to Tokies together. This morning was no different.

"Hey there Ray, how'sit?"

"Same as usual, Bunk. Starla's got a bug in her ass about my socks on the floor and continuing lack of contribution to the general fund."

Two things here: One, my name is Bunk. Well, really it's Henry but folks have always called me Bunk because I fell out of a bunk-bed when I was little and cracked my skull. I still have the x-rays and a slightly lopsided head to prove it. I wear my hair long. Two, Ray always spoke like that. He was fond of big words and phrasing, but where he learned it no one knows and Ray ain't telling. Hell, he missed as much school as I did and I can't understand what he's saying half the time. Some people are just smarter, I guess.

"General fund?"

"Yeah Bunk. You know, rent, food, bills. The daily and monthly expenses of running a household and keeping yourself afloat."

"Oh. Sure, I get it."

Ray smiled and clapped me on the back with his three-fingered hand. The Pitchfork, he called it, and damn if it didn't look like one when he held it up. We walked down Main street pass the closed-up buildings and empty store windows. Times were tough all over but especially here in Claud. Funny name for a town, I know. Downtown looked abandoned, like a ghost town, or one of those episodes from the Twilight Zone. I imagined if you opened up some of these places that everything would look normal, even have food on the tables but no one to eat it. Like they all just disappeared.

The only place that had any business at all was the diner, The Stopwatch. I know, sounds like a sports bar, but I understand it's supposed be, according to Ray, "An allegory for the hastiness of the service, and not very clever at that." I guess I agree with him. Anyway the food's good, not that I can afford to eat there very often, and while the service might not be so hasty it sure does have a pretty walk.

We made our way past the Stopwatch and a ways out of town turned down the road Tokie lived on. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we don't. Today Ray wanted to talk.

"Bunk, you ever feel you deserve more out of life?"

"I don't know Ray. Wouldn't mind a job, I guess."

"Not a job, Bunk, but more." He drew out the word as he said it, kind of faded it to a whisper and got a look in his eyes like he was thinking real deep. As usual, I had no idea what he meant and said so.

"Ray, I have no idea what you mean. More what?"

"More, Bunk. More...freedom, more money, just something more...than this. What does all this get us?"

Now I was truly confused and decided to keep quiet and see if he would say any more or hush up himself. I have since learned that what I was hoping was that the question was rhetorical. I like that word. Unfortunately it was not a rhetorical question and the confusing conversation contintued.

"Well?"

"Well gee, Ray, I don't know! This isn't so bad, is it? We've got friends, a place to stay, some beers now and then. Sure, I wouldn't mind some more money, maybe a girl to spend it on, but how much do you really need?"

"I need more life. I need more out of life, something to live for, something that makes me want to get out bed in the morning!"

"I thought you said Starla wants you out of the house by nine?"

"That's not what I mean, Bunk, and I think you know it. There's just got to be something more than this. Bunk, I have a feeling that today I might find it."

Ray sure found something alright, but if you ask me he lost more than he found. Just then Tokie came running up the road at us.

"Hey! Hey you two! Holy shit!" He came running so fast that he slid along the gravel road and just about knocked Ray over. Wrong place, wrong time, as usual. Ray pushed him back.

"Damn it Tokie, watch it! You just about knocked me on my ass!"

"I'm...sorry...Ray...but...but..." He was breathing hard, having a hard time talking.

"Now just slow down, catch your breath. What's so important that you had to run up the road and nearly send me sprawling to the dusty Earth?"

Tokie finally calmed down and was able to speak clearly. "You guys are never gonna believe what I found!"


(More to come. I lied when I said I'd finish it over the weekend)


M. PotPie

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I am so not a fan of the waiting!

4:24 PM  
Blogger M. Fred said...

i had a friend named tokes. once.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

ty- you'll find out today

snav- waiting makes it better. I swear.

center- Once?

8:29 AM  
Blogger asianpixie said...

You portray the characters extremely well. I am looking forward to the continuation.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

ap- thanx!

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home