Thursday, November 17, 2005

Poetry Thursday

I'm really short on time today, so I'll share a children's poem I wrote some years back:

Pirate Joe was a man with two wooden legs
And an earring in his nose.

He had a hole in his hat, a dog and a cat
And birds? He had plenty of those.

Pirate Joe took to sea with the greatest of ease
He didn't like the land.

With two wooden legs and rocks all around
He found it quite hard to stand.

Pirate Joe was a thief, at cards he would cheat
His reputation was known all around.

He'd share none of his gold, no not Pirate Joe
And he buried it all in the ground.

Pirate Joe didn't make many friends this way
When people saw him they'd all start to run.

He'd yell "Come back! Please come back!"
"Being alone isn't very much fun!"

But Pirate Joe was alone, all alone with his gold
And he said "Fine! I don't care, go away!"

So the dog and the cat and the people all left.
Even the birds flew away.

Pirate Joe was never, ever seen again
Some say he lived to one hundred years old.

And me? I think he's still alive today
And he lives, all alone, with his gold.


M. PotPie

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

That is adorable!!

I did not get the memo on poetry thursday was busy getting nekkid!

11:41 AM  
Blogger MKD said...

Who needs Ezra Pound when we have you? I laughed. I smiled. I too wished the pirate was alive, alone, and with his gold.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

snav- A naked poetry reading sounds good to me!

doggrrrrl- Yarr! Avast! Swab..something...or other...

mkd- I'm more of a Shel Silverstein guy. I was also named poet laureate of my fifth grade class.

chicken- damn right it's too cute!
Fuckin-A-Dorable!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home