Wednesday, October 26, 2005

What a horrible day. Yesterday was my personal Alamo. I was assaulted all day long by horrible credit and sad situations. Tears were shed, fists were made and pleas were given from between clenched teeth.

And all I could say was "No, I'm sorry, I can't approve that. I'm sorry."

The worst of the day went like this:

C.U. Member at my desk: "Hi there, I have a situation and I need your help."

Me: "Well, tell me about it and I'll do anything I can to help you out." (my job is half loan underwriting, half counselor)

C.U. Member: "It's like this: My wife has cancer and is just beginning treatment. She'll be out of work for at least six months, so our income is cut in half, not to mention all the unpaid time off I'm taking to be with her. We have two loans with you guys that we can't pay...we just can't afford it. Is there any way you can defer the payments for six months?"

Me: "Well....no. I can't defer them for six months, our auditors would have my ass. But what I can do is defer them for two months and after that refinance them into one loan, extend the term and cut your payment in half. Then I can schedule your first payment for February, so you'll have November, December and January with no payment at all. Would that work?"

C.U. Member: "Yes. That would be great, thank you. Thank you so much!"

Ok, so at the moment I'm feeling pretty good about myself. At the moment. Literally fifteen minutes later he's back in my office.

C.U. Member: "By the way, is there any way you can increase the limit on my credit card by $5,000? I need to go shopping and have no money."

Me: Silence for a moment, and then "No. I can't do that."

C.U. Member: "Well...why not? I have A+ credit (which is true, he does) and have never missed a payment with you or anyone else (true again)."

Me: Squirming in my chair "Yes, that's true, but you've just told me that you can't pay the bills you have, and now you want me to increase your limit, thereby raising your payment on your credit card."

C.U. Member: Getting angry now "Yes. I don't see a problem here, I don't understand. What do you expect me to do, starve?"

I'll spare you the rest, but suffice to say he left angry, cursing me, and I felt like a complete asshole for turning him away in his time of need.

Oh, I also told a woman getting divorced that she couldn't keep her house because she can't afford it, turned a guy down for a loan for an engagement ring and turned a couple down for a loan for their dream vacation.

Yesterday sucked. So I went home and drank 'till I passed out. And somehow mustered the courage to come back to work today.


M. PotPie

4 Comments:

Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

I thank you.

2:56 PM  
Blogger M. Fred said...

It could have been worse, you could have mustard the courage to go back..

..which is a lame ass joke. I'm not good at this "being nice" thing. Stupid fat head!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

Awww, you shoudln't have.

No, really.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

It's power, doggrrrrl. I sometimes want to laugh like an evil genius when I see some of the applications that come through.

Mwahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Either that or just get a giant, red NO stamp.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home