Monday, July 18, 2005

I Have Taken A Nap (repost from defunct blog)

What a glorious weekend! The sun shone, the breeze blew, the animals...did whatever they do and the lovers loved. Everywhere you looked there were people holding hands while walking, staring in one another's eyes, throwing their heads back laughing and generally enjoying each other's company. Hugging, kissing, talking...a perfect early Spring weekend to spend with a significant other.
I, however, did something infinitely more appealing and satisfying to the soul: I took a nap. I won't bore you with the trivialities of my activities before the blissful period of napping or the feeling of euphoria after I awoke, but rather I'll concentrate on the nap itself.
I spent 45 minutes in a state of not-quite-asleep, not-quite-awake restfulness. Ideas and dreams flitted through my semi-conscious mind, incorporating the sounds coming through my open windows. I flew with sparrows, honked with cranes and passed people in the slow lane. I played steel guitar in a country band, hosted a conservative talk show and played point-guard for the Michigan State Spartans...without physically leaving my chair. It turns out I'm a really good athlete and musician. I'm not a bad bird, either.
Were you to look upon me while napping the first thing you would notice would be the smile on my face. I can't be positive, of course, but I'm fairly certain that I'm smiling while I nap. I know that I'm smiling when I wake up and assume I've been smiling the entire time. I don't snore while I nap, but rather breathe deeply and evenly, a model of efficiency that would surely invoke the child-like wonder of engineers.
My 45 minutes of napping was spent in the same position, never tossing or turning, not fidgeting or flailing about. With my arms crossed on my stomach and my feet propped on the coffee table I lean back in my chair in a stress-free repose. In this state I invite sleep and dreams, I open my mind to whatver passes through the ether, and I am not disappointed. My nap has recharged my life-batteries and has renewed my faith in the world. All is well and I am rested.

M. PotPie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home