Monday, April 17, 2006

Fun With Weather

Ok. So yesterday Stormy & I are driving back from St. Louis on Hwy. 55 going North. It was a beautiful day in St. Louis...82 and sunny. We had gone for a walk, were wearing shorts...awesome. We left around noon for the roughly five hour drive back to the Madison area, going up 55 all the way through Illinois (which, pardon me for saying, is the flattest, dullest drive in America..though I've never been to Kansas or Nebraska).

We had the windows down, the radio up, and our spirits were high...until we got around Normal, Il. The weather turns cold, the skies cloud over...and then turn green. Pea-fucking-soup green.

Now Stormy is from the East coast and has never seen the sky turn this color. I had told her before that if she ever sees the sky that color to "seek shelter immediately". So she asks "Is that the color green you were talking about?"

Oh shit. Yes. Yes it is. We turn the music off and try to find a station with a weather report. This is what we heard:

"...tornado warning until 3pm..and we're getting reports of a tornado touching down at the WalMart on Hwy 9. We can't confirm or deny this report...blah blah blah".

We didn't hear the rest. I looked up to see an exit for Hwy 9. I looked to the left and saw no WalMart....

But I did see a huge fucking tornado. Maybe 300 yards away. That's when the hail started..bigger than golf balls..it sounded like someone was banging on the car with a hammer. We got under an overpass but were directly in the path of the tornado. There were a couple of guys outside their cars..of course..and one of them comes running up screaming "The tornado's coming! The tornado's coming!" and everyone takes off as fast as they can drive. Zero visibility. Hail. Driving rain. 55 mph. Scary.

In retrospect we should've stayed where we were and gone up into the crook of the overpass. But we didn't. We managed to survive anyway.


M. PotPie

10 Comments:

Blogger asianpixie said...

Reason #568 not to live out in the Midwest or visit.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Kata said...

So where the tarnation are photos of this dammit??!! I've been around for pre-tornado festivities, but never had one touch down...have seen the green sky on more than one occasion too..scary shite my friend!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

Lt. A.P.- I've decided to move. Can I stay with you?

JJ- There were people doing just that. No thank you.

Mangey- I was driving...not stopping for pictures. But I did just get a new 200mm zoom lens I'll be playing with.

4:42 PM  
Blogger MKD said...

Holy fucking shit. I like mountains.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

Chicken- No fun. Exciting...yes. But no fun.

doggrrrrl- I'll let you know when the next big storm hits.

MKD- I'm beginning to see the light.

8:38 AM  
Blogger lilmammal said...

The Midwest: Bibles and destructive storms. What more could anyone ask for?

9:05 AM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

Indy- A pony?

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You saw a tornado. That's cool.

Did you see that movie, Twister? Flying cows!

I've driven across IL. It IS boring.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

AHHHHHH! DON'T YOU KNOW?!!!! NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SIT UNDERNEATH AN OVERPASS DURING A TORNADO! I REPEAT, NEVER EVER SIT UNDERNATH AN OVERPASS DURING A TORNADO!

Ahem. Seriously though, an underpass acts as a huge windtunnel and the tornado will suck you right out. If your ever in the same instance you should find a ditch and lay down at the lowest point. I know this because I asked WAY too many questions during "Tornado Awarness" week in elementary school

Oh, and your welcome in advance for possibly saving your life someday.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Monkeypotpie said...

LBB- Never saw the movie. But I am in favor of flying cows.

Jenni- I'm hearing different things from different people...but you like gin & tonics so I'll believe you.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home